Three different predefined modes, Performance, Endurance and Ultra, and a Custom mode. Read our Suunto 9 Review.
Suunto’s Take on Health Measurement
The Suunto 9 is a sports watch designed with over 80 sport modes including predefined intelligent battery settings that can last through prolonged usage. The watch is also equipped with FusedTrack technology which has a more accurate tracking data in the event of a weak GPS signal It features nifty tricks up its sleeve to accurately measure and track your exercise routine. We had a watch in our office to take for a spin.
True Suunto DNA in Design
The watch measures 50mm in height and in width, with a thickness of 16.8mm and weighs 81 g. It is big, thick and certainly has some weight to it thanks to the construction of the case made from glass fibre- reinforced polyamide with a stainless-steel bezel around the sapphire crystal glass screen. There are three buttons to navigate the watch’s user interface. The touch screen has pretty good outdoor visibility and doesn’t require the LED backlight to illuminate it unless the surroundings are not very well lit. All in all a sturdy design.
Battery to Last Through Your Exercise
Suunto features an intelligent battery mode feature in this watch. There are three different predefined modes. Performance, Endurance and Ultra, and a Custom mode. Each predefined mode allows the battery to last for at least 25 hours and not more than 120 hours from a full charge. The GPS tracking is most accurate in Performance mode and least accurate in Ultra mode. The barometer can detect the drop in atmospheric pressure, which is a sign for a possible storm, and sound the storm alarm if it’s activated.
Touch screen with good outdoor visibility
Good battery life for prolonged usage
Connect to Your Health
The Bluetooth connectivity allows you to pair to a smartphone, sensors and PODs such as the Suunto Foot Pod Mini. The Suunto app is available for download from Google Play and App Store to sync the watch and keep logs of training, daily activity and sleep. In addition to that, the watch can receive incoming call alerts and mobile notifications. However, you can only dismiss the notification using your smartphone and can’t attend to calls from the watch despite having a built-in speaker.
The Gold Standard in Health Watches
The Suunto 9 could use a better calibration process of the GPS and optimization on the user interface for a smoother experience. It also is a little on the heavy side, which will make your arm feel weighed down. On the other hand, features like the magnetic charger port with 4-pin contact points and two deep grooves that help align the port to the charge head, are much appreciated since it can take a fair amount of effort to charge the watch. The watch is available in black and white.
Suunto 9 Review: VERDICT
“The flagship health watch for those who need the best” - Lingez
Where to buy?
- Waterproof (up to 100m) multisport GPS watch for ultra runners and endurance athletes with baronetric altitude information (FusedAltiTM)
- Up to 120 hour long battery life through intelligent battery modes (Performance, Endurance, Ultra) with charge reminders and regular software updates; 3 button color display and touchscreen
- Over 80 built-in sport modes include running, cycling, swimming, gym and more
- Accurate GPS tracking and navigation with Suunto FusedTrack, real-time bread crumb display, points of interest, sunrise/sunset times, storm alarm
- 24/7 activity tracking with instant heart rate, calorie and step counter (last 7 days) and sleep tracking
- Connect to sport services like Strava, Endomondo and Training Peaks and enjoy benefits offered by our partners through Suunto Value Pack
- Route planning and activity-specific heatmaps of most popular routes around the world with Suunto app
- Stay connected with phone calls and notifications on your watch, and share workouts to social media channels with cool data overlays
- The watch is designed, developed and assembled in Finland. Operating temperature-(-20 °C) - (+55) °C / -5 °F - (+130) °F. Storage temperature-(-30° C) to +55° C / -22° F to +130° F
- Box content: 1x Suunto 9 Baro Multisport GPS watch, USB cable, quick guide, warranty leaflet. Weighs 72 g / 2.54 oz, fits wrist sizes 130-230 mm /0,51-0,90 in
Suunto 9 Review: Specs
Dimensions: 0 x 17 mm, bracelet 24mm, Screen 320 x 300 px
WEIGHT: 81 g
BATTERY LIFE: 120 hours
Connectivity: iPhone, Android, PC, Bluetooth wireless data transfer
See also: LG G7 ThinQ Review: Bright ideas