Colour Laser Printers
HP Colour LaserJet Pro M252dw
• Manufacturer: HP
• Website: goo.gl/8B2iJi
Requirements: Windows, Windows Server, Mac OS X, Linux
With the vast range of HP printers available, it can become a little hard to track down the latest offerings from the various ranges the company has to offer. From the point of view of this group, though, the latest mid-range SOHO offering is the Colour LaserJet Pro M252dw.
This is a newly designed printer from HP, with sleek lines and an almost Apple-esque style to it. It has an 800MHz processor and 256MB of memory as standard, with a single USB port, Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n wi-fi and a USB host port for you to stick a USB pen filled with photos into.
There’s a 1 50-sheet paper tray at the bottom front of the printer and a 73mm flip-up colour touchscreen, where you can get to the basic settings as well as view any thumbnail images from the USB stick you’ve inserted. There’s also access to a small collection of HP online apps.
Print speeds are generally good; the text we fed through printed at around 10ppm, with the first page being printed within 1 5 seconds. The colour page test managed a respectable 9ppm, with first colour page being printed within 18 seconds.
The mono print quality was very good indeed. The characters were crisp, easy to read and showed no sign of misprints or banding. The colour photos we tested were good too, although they weren’t quite as bright as the Lexmark model.
It’s cheap to buy and reasonably cheap to run too
What made this printer stand out from the others, though, was just how quiet it was. The noise factor wasn’t something we were paying too much attention to, with most of the other group entries producing roughly the same volume, but the HP M252dw was virtually silent in comparison.
Pricing for the multi-pack of toners, though, was quite expensive.
If you shop around, you could probably find a premium set for less, but we didn’t unfortunately. Obviously you’re better off buying the higher-yield cartridges, as the standard multi-pack will make this the most expensive printer in the group in terms of running costs.
Saying that, the print quality is good and you can easily pick the HP Colour LaserJet M252dw up, which isn’t too bad. You also get a 1,500-page and 700-page yield black-and- colour cartridge in the box, which again is quite good.
There’s a lot going for the HP Colour LaserJet Pro M252dw.
It’s a good colour laser with good quality and connectivity, and we like the top-mounted USB port too. If we could source somewhere with much cheaper cartridges, though, we’d be quite happy with this model on our desks in the foreseeable future.
Where to buy?
- Original HP Toner cartridges with JetIntelligence are specially engineered to help your printer work faster and produce up to 28% more pages, Automatic two-sided printing
- Safeguard data and easily manage devices with a suite of essential security and management features.
- Print quickly-this printer wakes up from sleep mode and prints faster than any other printer in its class
- Print with just a touch of your NFC-enabled mobile device. Seamlessly manage the flow of information to and from your devices, using efficient HP Jet Advantage business workflow and printing solutions. Increase printer and data security, and stay connected to your work with wired and wireless capabilities.
- This HP Printer is compatible with Windows 10 (printer driver update may be required)
- This compact printer, combined with Original HP Toner with JetIntelligence, helps meet the needs of your business - and is ready to work when you are
- Accomplish more with your time; print quickly up to 18-page per minute - this printer wakes up from sleep mode and prints faster than any other printer in its class
- Meet everyday IT challenges head-on; increase security, restore control and help avoid additional expenses with HP JetAdvantage Private Print
- Rely on easy mobile printing options; count on wireless direct printing in the office - from mobile devices - without accessing the company network
- Get more pages, performance and protection; get more pages than ever before, using Original HP High-Yield colour toner cartridges (HP 201 family) with JetIntelligence